Sibiu is an important railway junction on the road and rail, respectively, on the road, 10 km and 16 km on DJ 17 Ocna Sibiu, 45 km and 43 km of DN 14 Copsa Mica, at 56 km and 55 DN 14 km from the Media, at 84 km and 77 km from Fagaras DN 1, at 92 km and 72 km E DN 81 Alba Iulia, 99 km and 99 km in all the E 81 of Ramnicu Valcea and 12 Cisnadie km. Airport Sibiu turret is situated 6 km from the city.
Old Town, historical remains functional area as commercial and residential, is located on the terrace and meadow Cibin, etalandu and construcjiile predominantly Gothic, stuck closely to one another, jammed parking of not missing any, but in the Romanesque style, the Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo, separated by a narrow street, with many passages and tunnels connecting the "lower city" and "the top" (CittaAlta and CittaBassa, as they called Morando Visconti plan drawn in 1699). (Vcstitele pie is the "upper town" Piaf Republic (ring or Maiorcirculus Sea eel) Piaja Mica (ring eel Breakfast circulus or Minor) and Piaf Grivija (or Piata Huet), guarded by old buildings, always remember the long viaje urban localitajii.
Tradifiile handicraft, commercial and urban were intertwined with the culture: in 1380 is attested first school in 1526 is menUonata another school, in 1555 a "gymnasium", in 1692 another secondary school which is the origin of the high school "Gheorghe Lazar" , in 1850 a school for training invajatorilor § 1844-1886 and between funcfionat of a Law Faculty.
City Archives is organized in sec. XV, and in 1528, the first printing infiinjeaza where Filip Moldoveanu will print in English "Lutheran catechism" in 1544, in 1790 there were four printers. There are early and newspapers, in 1778 the periodical profile Theater "theater Wochenbalatt (Sheet Weekly Theater) in 1791 to publish "sheet Faran novel, appearing in 1795, all in English, the" morally Vestiri filosoficesti "Sibiu. Based on the principles of the academic societies. organized in 1861, "Transylvanian Association for Romanian Literature and Culture> the Romanian people" - ASTRA, an event that marks the institutionalization of a Romanian cultural viefi particularly intense.
ASTRA, organized to develop and popularize literary and linguistic studies, to capitalize folklore, has published hundreds of titles, a vat promotional literature and culture throughout the central zone of the country, bringing together personalities from the weather: Timothy Cipariu, George Barijiu, Sextil Puscariu Andrew Barseanu, Alex Bpgdan, Enea Hodos Sibiu. Society edited several newspapers and magazines: "Transylvania" (1868 - and today), "Our Country" (1907-1909), etc.. Within societajii has been established | ata and Library of the true treasures of national culture, and that funcfioneaza today, ASTRA Library, with the founders on GH. Baritiu and T. Cipariu with a fund impressed with the book, which now exceeds 600 000 volumes; menjionat the year 1330 as mentioned this was a library. An important role culture 1 has played and publicajia "Tribuna"
I 1884-1903, headed by I. inifial he, who has created around her a real cenaclu E in 1853 appears gazeta "Telegraful romSn", which continues today. Theater has [he tradipe ancient: in 1575 are recorded events theater school; reprezentafie first in 1752 and the first regular dramatic profile in 1778. Sibiu cultural today dejine November valenfe: 17 schools, university center with a university and a six facultafi state college and a private university, museums, libraries , European Center for Poetry and cultural dialogue, home city of culture, trade unions, youth and studenfilor, Theater "Radu Stanca" with secjii in English and German; Puppet Theater with secjiile Romanian and German; Philharmonic, which includes orchestra symphonic orchestra and folk music "Cindrelul. activitafilor In the cultural shine" Spring Sibiu, CORALA a meeting that takes place in May; tradijionala artistic-cultural week "Cibinium" which includes among other pottery fair, expoziui, competitions of folk songs, etc.. and be held simultaneously in all county towns.
Valorificand an advantageous geographical pozijie not far from Brasov, the pass from Turnu Rosu, where handicrafts and comerful have flourished from early settlement to recover and progressed rapidly. Informafie first written mentioning Cibinium location (Cibiniensis) dating from 1192-1196, which in 1326 was known as the Tartars oraSibiu incursion in 1241, and later, in 1438, the Turkish, required strengthening the city, the first guild privilege dates in 1376, when there were already 19 asociafii handicraft. Road that falls on the Olt Valley, where was the custom in Turnu Rosu, privileges granted by the rulers over Carpaji Sibiu merchants have made here regularly to attend the fairs in Ramnicu Valcea, Slatina, Craiova, Curtea de Arges, Campulung, Targoviste etc.. and the people there to come in the flourishing city.
The first fortification was made, probably after 1224, the territorial development of the city imposed fortifications extending through 1366 the second was done inside a third precinct was built in the second part of sec. XIV and see the beginning,''XV, in sec. XIV, above the town was already surrounded by walls, in the last part of sec. XV and the beginning of sec. XVI was built by the fourth belt which included walls and down the town "in sec. XVII were finalized last bastions. In 1699 the city was guarded by 39 towers, 4 bastions, ditches, etc. with water. What makes the fortress to be impregnable.
In sec. XVIII city extends outside the walls. Since sec. XIX (after 1836) and until the beginning of sec. XX, the city's development, without gisi old construcfiilor integration solution requires the demolition of walls, towers. Porfilor and Fortress (Tower, Ocnei, Cisnadiei, Elizabeth and Lesurilor) May 7 tumuri remain only remains of the wall and in the former citadel of N . In an atmosphere and ancient traditions of handicraft trade societafi first appear and multiply rapidly in sec. XIX. Leading role that the city has returned not limited to economic activity: in 1848 a National Committee was established to participate whose Assembly Avram Iancu, still here, 1849, started in Vienna, the delegation