It is an important economic center, with a populafie 185 636 inhabitants (1995). Many commercial societaji produce mainly: Power (three hydropower, thermal douS) and reprezintS construcfiile Machine (Auto Subansamble) electrotehnicS (IMEP - electric motors), chemistry and petrochemistry (Arpechim - Petrochemical plant; RoIast "technical articles, rubber), wood (Alprom"), textiles (Novatex "Argesana" Divertex) incaljaminte (Argesin "), beer, wine, dairy products, meat products etc. . In early'60, in the city of Pitesti, were first constructed apartments, and others until today, which outlined cartierelc Smardan, Trivale, Craiova, Razboieni, Banat, Gavan.
Pitesti currently holds architectural monuments of rare frumuseje. Historical and architectural monument is the Church founded Domneasca of Constantin Serban (1654-1658) and Lady Balasa, built in 1656 on the place of the old house at the beginning of sec. XVI. Here funcfionat "princely school" Tntre sec. XVII and XIX.
Timpul hit crujare monument without being required repairs have been carried out during 1848, 1869, 1872, 1875, and is repainted in 1876 by Gh Stoenescu, student Gh Tattarescu painter (1820-1894). infStisarii To play the original have been carefully restored between 1964 and 1968, which * have shown originality - an exterior niche of suits, a porch on two levels, etc.. elements unique architecture cult of Wallachia. Monumentul feudal architecture, Trivale Hermitage, was inccput years 1672 and 167'4-finished Metropolitan Varlaam in 1677-1698, in current infajisare, is the result of restoration of 1854-1856, 1904 and 1980. Values have special architectural and churches Annunciation of sec. XVI, with murals of sec. Precista XVII and old, all of sec. XVI, with restorations in sec. XVII and XIX, and the Holy Trinity-scold, of sec. XVII.
The old buildings, which marked a certain stage in the development of the city, the fair is remarcS Gabroveni Inn, with three levels, built in 1877 by Merchant Hristea Vasiliu. monuments and statues that remind about some historical events or personalities, with famous authors, are high in parks, or do scuaruii | institutions of culture, increasing the charm of the city, retaining the attention of passers. Crinului str is Independent Monument, sculptor-Dimo D. Pavelescu of 1906. In the park arranged in 1957 on an existing place since 1869, in the central area of the city, was unveiled in March 1960, Monument in 1907, designed by sculptor Veturia Uica; Gate argeseni dedicated heroes heroes from this region who lay on battle fields of rSzboaielor of 1877 and from 1916-1918, was inaugurated in 1926; luiNicolaeBalcescu statue, unveiled in 1969, the work of Constantin Barasch (1902-1966), Nicolae Balcescu bustullui installed at the high school entrance bearing the name revolujionar great scholar, created in 1958 by sculptorija Delfin Mirescu and in the same school yard is the bust of George Ionescu-Gion (1857-1904), born on these lands, publicist and historian pitestean work in 1907, his aparjinand Fr. Storck (1872-1942).
Museum Judefean Arges arranged since 1970 in a monumental building, built Tntre years 1898-1899, in the neoclassical style. The museum includes: secjia history illustrates that the first traces of inhabitants of the Arges region, starting with the Palaeolithic to the present moment, argesenilor testimonies of participation in his revolujia Tudor Vladimirescu at Rascoala of 1907 etc..; Secjia of stiinjele nature; secjia art organized old city hall, define especially the works of contemporary painters: Rudolf Schweitzer-Cumpana, Vraneanju I., S. Henjia, J. Al. Steriadi, St. Popescu, C. Ressu, D. Ghia (a, I. Tuculescu etc.., Expozijia permanent naive art, opened in 1970 and others. In neighborhoods Trivale and Gavan (Gavan II in the neighborhood is the church St. Demetrius, Tnaltata in 1409, during Batran Mircea eel) is Trivale Park (27 ha) arranged in 1900, Tntr a forest of oaks, and resistematizat in 1967 and left Arges, after confluence with the River Lady, is arranged the entertainment Zdvoi.
Pitesti around town are some localities that have points of special tourist atracfie: Great Valley-Podgoria (Stefanesti village, 3 km), where the House memorials Liviu Rebreanu organized in 1969 in housing | of which belonged to the great prose writer ( starting with 1930) and where the novels were written "Rascoala" (1932) and "Both" (1940), which is found in furniture, manuscripts, library, photos etc.
Also in this village is home cellars of Constantin Brancoveanu (1688-1714). Complexulmuzeal Golesti (Stefanesti village, 9 km) begins to be arranged by G. stradaniile history Fotino and Gh Minescu engineer during 1942-1943. Between 1958 and 1963, is amenajeaza inside the Mansion, in 1640 the constant Mesterul Stoica, the great commandment Logofat Stroe Leurdeanu. Mansion goes after property Golesti being rebuilt between 1784 and 1807, knowing restorations in the periods 1942-1943 and 1960-1961.
The building is surrounded by a wall of square shape similar to those in Bucharest or Oradea, having colluri defense towers and a balcony above the entrance, destroyed in 1859 and restored in 1942-1943, where he lived between Tudor Vladimirescu 18-21 May 1821, and where was arrested trimisii of Al. Ipsilanti. The museum is organized into sections: teaching, working in 1962, in the building where Dinicu Golescu (1777-1830) infiinfase 1 May 1826, village school which persisted until 1830, Memorial, arranged in the building principals, display pieces furniture, paintings and library Golesti etc..